Mad Men (III)
More Leadership tips from the Golden Age of Advertising.
4) Make Magic
- Always fight for great ideas.
- Pull rabbits out of the hat.
- Don’t give them what they want, give them what they never thought possible.
- Treat every advertisement as your own – mentally substitute your name in the key number – still proud of it?
- Aim to have as many creative people as you have account people, maybe more.
- Make your Creative Director your equal partner.
- Push the limits; just because something can’t be proved to work, doesn’t mean it won’t.
- Trust your instincts.
- Avoid the mundane.
- Build a legacy of dreams made real.
5) Create PIC’s – Permanently Infatuated Clients
- Choose clients carefully. Make sure the relationship will be mutually beneficial.
- Never leave a client unsure of the impact of the agency’s work.
- Remember there’s nothing like a great idea to make a great client.
- Keep the initiative, build the momentum.
- Work with clients who are equally passionate.
- Never assume a new client on the team has ‘bought into’ the programme.
- You can’t do great work for a client you don’t have.
- Make clients want to come to the agency.
- Put yourself in your client’s shoes.
- The best new business is business you already have.
6) Think Big – Big Ideas Lead To Big Results
- Always look for the big idea.
- Invest in ideas and insights.
- Put your faith in imagination – nurture it, believe in it and resource it.
- Great ideas come from anywhere.
- Look for long-term solutions.
- Embrace change, champion it.
- Show your respect for consumers by rewarding them with big ideas.
- No great idea is too hard to pull off.
- Don’t settle for a partial solution – go all the way.
- Search for transformational ideas.